Creative Director APPLY NOW
Accountable to: Founder
Accountable for: eeBoo Designer, Piece & Love Designer, Marketing Designer, Artworker
Overall Job Purpose – what is this role here to do?
Purpose of the Creative Director is to head up the Creative Team; to lead the overall creative design output; from product to marketing assets, understand and map out the future direction for all brands and product areas and as part of that, explore new categories.
The Creative Director is responsible for the strategic development, provides creative inspiration and direction across all brands to ensure we develop original and beautifully designed products, delivered in budget and in line with the seasonal production calendar, while in charge of the overall look and feel of all assets including marketing such as catalogs, photoshoots and e-commerce.
Specifically delivering and realizing the brief set by the Founder, setting out the product design direction, setting the bar for quality that is competitive for the product within its marketplace, establishing the line lists and setting out time frame for each project.
Day to Day the CD will work with the Founder, Designers & Production to ensure agreed product design, approving samples, signing off design concepts.
Leads and manages the design of product lines across all catalogue brands.
Leads creative for all marketing needs, working closely with the Marketing Designer, and in response to needs from marketing calendar.
Drives the creation of a consumer and market focused innovative product offering. Contributing to the overall business strategy and brand vision and ensuring the product is ‘commercially viable’ whilst staying true to our brands’ individual DNA.
Under the leadership of the Founder, the CD is responsible for the delivery of the assigned creative briefs to be considered and to be the best it can be in terms of quality and commerciality, to achieve our business goals. Produce innovative products that satisfy yet unfulfilled customer needs. As well as new product creation the CD is responsible for identifying and initiating improvements that could be made to existing products.
Also responsible for managing the personal development of Designers
Key working relationships
Working at a senior creative team level alongside the Founder working closely with the designers and production team.
Works closely with the Head of Marketing to understand visual assets needed and manages the Marketing Designer accordingly.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Kick off all new projects based on the direction from Founder.
- Be the key creative driver of all catalogue products. Responsible for developing the creative vision for all catalogue brands.
- Lead a team of creative, skilled designers who develop and deliver innovative, brand right products which meet category and consumer business unit needs.
- Research emerging trends and styles and key influencer markets to strengthen our offer and maintain competitive positioning.
- Identify market trends appropriate to the brand, consumer behavior and new product opportunities.
- Be a key creative brand guardian and contribute to the development of the company’s brands.
- Partner with production team to ensure alignment throughout development process. Including the sourcing and exploration of using new factories ‘if’ product not fulfilled elsewhere in our supplier base.
- Using the objectives set by the Founder, manage, inspire, nurture, and drive the creative team.
- Lead the spirit of excellence concerning all matters of design and innovation across catalogue categories.
- Review/critique samples and product development; resolve outstanding issues with design and costing.
- Ensure the presentation of collections to the business are clear, engaging and provide fully rounded tools, with data, direction, and assets to ensure the vision is executed in the market for a successful launch.
- Discuss and strategize style changes and line enhancements with Sales/Merchandising. Responding to key account needs beyond initial seasonal line to maximize opportunity.
- Manage design reviews - ensure attendance from key stakeholders. Ensure that all design activities are within the agreed calendar deadlines and are in line with signed off creative direction.
- Have a strong appreciation for market trends. Ensure and agile product discovery behavior is implemented.
- Product design and product performance, especially educational toys, games, stationery, gift.
- Product costing, product cycles.
- Presentation and story-telling skills, including print, digital platforms, and storyboards.
- Translate trends to specific targeted consumer needs.
- Creative mindset and strong skills to translate input/ideas/briefing into sketches. Understanding of development process and communication to different stakeholders (developers/designers/managers/marketing/sales).
- Strong management skills and result driven with high level interpersonal skills and the ability to build and maintain strong working relationships.
- Behaviors demonstrated:
- Collaborative, Inspiring, Creative
- Take smart risks.
- Successful problem solving.
- Be passionate about all brands across the company and be able to bring them alive during interactions both internal and external.
- Creative and passionate about our people, our product, and our company.
- Developing direct reports and others – inspiring, motivating, and coaching others to reach their potential; supportive and helpful – providing guidance and feedback.
- Be someone who excels in fast paced and demanding environments
- Approachable and listening – builds rapport well, a good listener, encouraging of ideas from all. Inquisitive and willing to question, confident in proposing suggestions to improve innovation.
- Demonstrate confidence and work alongside the design team and colleagues from different departments, as well as having the ability to work independently and think ahead.
- Personal learning – reflecting on actions, on results and learning.
Who We Are:
We are a small team located in a 19th century ballroom on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. Because of our size, we are nimble, able to change course and innovate both in our business practices and our product development. We work collaboratively in small groups and as a larger team fostering creative group thinking. We are adventurous and fanciful in introducing new formats, consistently surprising our customers by bringing something fresh to the marketplace. We are vocal about the issues we care about and, when we speak out, we do so authentically with the goal of improving the lives of others by inviting honest, passionate, and heartfelt conversations.
For over 27 years we have made products that reflect our personal commitment to family, community, cooperation, inclusion, respect, and the power of honest communication. We believe that being able to tell a story, express one’s feelings and to speak up for yourself and others are basic skills that need to be nourished throughout one’s life. Our products empower and reinforce these skills while providing opportunities to connect with others. eeBoo celebrates the gloriousness of diversity and difference, and our thoughtfully designed products respect the intelligence, curiosity, and developmental needs of children of all ages and learning levels.
Our customers range from very small family-owned shops to larger chains, but we always design with individuals in mind. We prioritize detail and craftmanship and are proud to say we espouse Old School values like the importance of a job well done. What differentiates eeBoo from others in the landscape is that we embed learning in all that we do and that we do it in a way that is beautiful and kind. Our motto is Always Good, which to eeBoo means we will always make good things, always feel good about how they are made.|||New York City|||||||||cOUPh.E-lpAuFyCK|||FULL_TIME|||USD|||HOUR|||single||||||||||||false